Thursday, June 2, 2011

Projects in the Works

I was writing pretty regularly for a while, but lately I've been working on more projects that are less photo worthy. My apologies!

I don't generally mention it because it isn't usually relevant to being in Japan and experiencing all these new and wonderful things, but I am a graphic designer and here are some things I'm working on.

(Shameless plug ahead, brace yourself.)
If you're not familiar with Threadless, it is a tee shirt company based in Chicago, Ill., that has a web community of artists. People submit designs that are voted on and the highest scoring ones are usually printed and put on the site for sale.

I submitted a design (admittedly only funny if you know something about Japanese culture, but if you're reading this you probably do) that has just made it to the voting stage.
Maneki Nekonigiri - Threadless T-shirts, Nude No More
If you check it out and it's something you could see yourself wearing, please vote it up!


If it does well, excellent. If it doesn't, that's okay. Since working on this, I've thought about making a set of similar designs, and if I can I'll find another venue to have them made.
(End of shameless plug.)

(Edit: it did not score well in the first couple of days, so it has been withdrawn. Thanks to everyone that was able to participate! I'll design some more and find another venue for them. I'll keep you posted.)



I'm still occasionally adding content to my portfolio website (kimreynoldsdesign.com), although not as often as I probably should.

I'm also learning how to use Wordpress, which is pretty complex at first glance (and second and fifth, from the amount of time I've spent on it so far). Once I figure it out, it will be great and I'll be able to make more client-friendly websites that they can update without my help. Until then it's slow going.


Not career-related, Husband and I will be taking a scuba class in a couple of weeks. I'm not sure how much I'll be able to photograph, but I'll tell you as much about it as I can.

In other news, our refrigerator suddenly stopped working right after a big grocery shopping trip, so I spent all of June 1st in the kitchen cooking beef stew, baked chicken breast, broiled steak, ceviche, citrus shrimp, corn on the cob (we had a package of frozen ears), mashed potatoes (to use up some of the milk), and browning ground beef for burritos.

I didn't get to all of the frozen foods or most of the fresh fruits and vegetables, but I did as much as I could. The foods still in the freezer can be kept cool by bags of ice from the conbini for another day or two. Our new fridge isn't coming until Monday, but we've done as much as we can to minimize rotten food before then. The freezer has become a refrigerator, the refrigerator is ever so slightly cooler than room temperature. What can ya do?

We had a couple friends over to help eat the mass quantities of food and forced them to bring home plastic tubs of leftovers. That helped a lot.

I know people lived for thousands of years without refrigerators, but holy crap does it require more planning to live without one.

So that's what's up with me, what's up with you?

No comments:

Post a Comment