Thursday, June 17, 2010

Not Food...and Moar Food!

Non-Food Items!

This building is full of life!

Life service, Life up, Life enjoy, and Life support. You need it, they've got it.



I love love love the hyakuiin (100 yen store). Compared to dollar stores, there are more useful items and generally higher quality merchandise.

Once our household goods arrived, we realized that we no longer have a broom and dustpan; we had those around until the very last moment and gave them to the neighbors. So, new broom and dustpan. And they're happy!

Literally Happy.




Foodstuffs!
I know Corn Flakes exist in the US, but it's a little surreal to see the name in katakana.


Husband o'Mine saw some Final Fantasy Elixir for sale in the suupa (supermarket). He described it as "Sprite with more lime." But he really got it for the graphics on the can. I can't blame him.


I've had this before, but I had no idea what it was. It's shredded ultra-thin omelet called kinshi tamago and is sprinkled on meals as a topping.


This was in the store with cookies and candy, so I thought I'd give it a try because it was the least recognizable of the three or four flavors available. This one happens to be a very thin rice cracker with some sort of fishy flavor powder sprinkled on one side. The taste was okay, but I'll go for chocolate chip next time.


I love all the flavor packet things I can get - this is an assortment of seeds and beans that you mix with rice as you cook it.


Okay, this stuff is kind of a mystery. According to the illustrations in the back, it's meant to be a topping for noodles or rice or something to go in soup. I don't know if it's pickled and I don't know if it should be drained before adding to whatever I'm eating, but it's worth a try.


This stuff is pretty awesome. It's just the seasoning, and you sprinkle it on top of your rice before you eat it, but it's a LOT of taste packed into an innocuous-looking mylar packet. Kind of salty, the dark green is probably seaweed of some sort, but a nice flavor addition.


This is something else from the hyakuiin - garlic and chili pasta oil. Spicy enough to make my nose run a little, so it's got a bit of a kick.


I was delighted to find that I could get this size bottle of olive oil for 100 yen. For now, it's all I need. It's also all I can fit in those ridiculously high cabinets at a height that I can still reach.


Some things here are the same but different. This, my friends, is a Japanese radish. it's almost as big as my forearm and probably heavier. It has a slight tang, but not nearly as much as the radishes I pulled out of the garden when I was growing up. It's a good filler vegetable, about as much flavor as potato but not as starchy.


Again, same but different - the eggplants are miniature.

This is essentially jell-o in juice pouch form. I'm pretty sure there's no real fruit in it, but it is pretty cute. And yummy.

1 comment:

  1. I bet that rice seasoning would be great on Onigiri - I found a recent love for these since they only take a little time once the rice is done and there's endless possibilities for fillings :D

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACOmKiJDkA4

    ReplyDelete