Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Flea Market Pretty

I think, when people come to visit, if we are able to go to a flea market, we have to do it. It seems to be the best place to find inexpensive souvenirs, often in the form of either jewelry or traditional clothing. I'm not sure I've ever seen a kimono or yukata pattern twice, other than the mass-produced ones sold at retail chains.

I went with a friend this past weekend and found a market that was a decent size, about as much room as a hotel lobby and a stretch of sidewalk. Not a lot of doodads, games, or toys, but there was a lot of clothing and jewelry.

We each purchased a yukata for our husbands (and of course I found out later that the one I'd gotten for my husband was a woman's yukata, which is disappointing because the colors and pattern are very manly. At least now I know what to look for.) and a haori (dressy jacket) for ourselves. The haori at this one particular booth were just amazing.

These were so unbelievably inexpensive, we would have kicked ourselves all day if we hadn't gotten them.

I'm not sure if the white stitching is intended to stay or if I should take it out, but I'm sure there are rules on the Internet somewhere.

The design looks like it might actually have been painted on, and the subtleties in the coloring are just stunning.






Now I just need an occasion to wear it.

Edit: photos of my friend's haori:


No comments:

Post a Comment